Parents would often describe their teens’ bedroom as a battleground. Clothes are everywhere, books on the floor, drawers are open, colognes and other personal care products are not in their proper places. Think of them as toddlers in disguise. The room looks like a place where the Hiroshima bomb was dropped.
Teenage years are considered to be an awkward stage. Experts believe that teens are so preoccupied and probably confused with what they want. The room reflects who and what your children are. Their room may be considered to be their sanctuary where they can freely do what they want. Of course not absolute freedom as there are still house rules that they have to follow.
Their bedroom is a place where they can relax and study. As parents, we can assist and guide them in their endeavors and problems. We can show and make them feel their importance as well as tell them the changes that are happening to their body and their surroundings. Try to engage them in different activities such as interior decorating projects. Decorating their rooms can be a great start to let them decide what’s best for them. This would also be a great way to spend quality time with them.
Wall decorating tips that your teens would love
Decorating the room of your teenagers is fun and exciting as there are many possibilities to make it look wonderful. Here are a few tips that you can follow to make the project successful:
- Think about the colors and lighting as these will give their rooms life. This can be done once the style of the room has been finalized. Before buying the paint or any wall covering, it is recommended to use extra-large paint swatches. This is to avoid any mistakes and waste of money. Moreover, the lighting of the room can also illuminate or highlight the appearance of the wall. The use of pin lights or cafe lights is recommended as well as the use of dimmer switches.
- The use of wallpaper is one of the easiest and convenient ways to cover the walls. There are many designs to choose from and these can give the room of your child a statement that they will love.
- Allow your teens to choose the photos that they want to be displayed. These can be photos of your family, friends, or others. The photos may be framed or taped in a trendy fashion.
- Display trendy posters as various poster designs can be added to the walls of their rooms. You and your teens may choose from different themes that could help set the right ambiance. Depending on the design of the print, they can also add color and life to the room.
- Install shelves where they can display their toys, action figures, books, and any other collection they have. Neutral-colored shelves are highly recommended as they can blend easily to any wall color.
- Wall decals are widely available and can even be purchased online. The good thing about these wall decors is that they are easy to install and are not that sticky as compared with the regular stickers. As such, the paint of the wall will not be damaged.
Home decorating projects are not just about beautifying your homes. It is also about spending quality time with the family. Getting your kids involved in the planning up to the actual project is a great way to help them with their creativity and resourcefulness.