Scandinavian interior design style is one of the most loved interior design styles in the world. It was a movement in the 1950s and the concept originated from the countries of the Scandinavian region. This includes Iceland. Denmark, Finland, Sweden, and Norway. If you are seeking a comfortable space, then the Scandinavian interior design style is one of the perfect styles for you.
An overview of the Scandinavian design style
The Scandinavian design style is a movement that started during the 1950s. It focuses on simplicity, minimalism, and functionality. The principle of the design style is that the interior and everything in it should be appealing and functional. It is also important that the decorative items are affordable to many.
The movement was the emergence of a Scandinavian form of social democracy. During the period of the 1950s, there was an increase in the availability of new low cost materials and methods for mass production. As such, materials like form-pressed wood, plastics, anodized or enameled aluminum are common in Scandinavian inspired homes.
The difference between simplicity and minimalism
Simplicity and minimalism may sound similar, however, there have been debates that there are a lot of differences between them. However people think that both are similar, there are good reasons why the two words should not be used interchangeably. Technically speaking, simplicity is the state or quality of being simple. On the other hand, minimalism is any style or design in which few elements are used to create a big impact.
Think of minimalism as a backpack where all of your needed belongings are stored. Some may find this kind of living a challenge as you may need to devoid yourselves of some luxuries. Minimalism is a concept that has been developed for almost a century. Remember the guiding principle of minimalism: less is more. One needs to strip off the necessary until only the core parts remain.
Boost your home with Scandinavian design style
Here are some creative ways to bring the design style to your home:
- One of the highlights of Scandinavian design style is a clutterless living space. Invest on furniture pieces that will stand the test of time. In most cases, the furniture pieces are multifunctional so that you need not have to add more. The idea is to remove an item from your rooms instead of adding more.
- Buy only pieces that can bring joy. Style your room with only one favorite item. As such, you will appreciate the beauty of the item.
- Use calm and soothing colors such as white, gray, and earthy tones so that you will have attractive and well-balanced rooms.
- Nature is important with the Scandinavian design. Add touches of nature to your room such as linen, wool, and wood. Elements of nature can bring warmth and coziness to your home. It is common in a Scandinavian-inspired to see natural light and greenery.
- Decorate your walls with minimalist-inspired posters as the colors and design can bring balance to your home.